The purpose of this training module is to present the information
and skills that are critical for community mental health workers to employ
in screening, assessing and intervening with clients experiencing domestic
violence. This module also presents guiding principles for this role and
a framework for incorporating these tasks into existing responsibilities
of mental health staff. Three screening and assessment tools are presented.
By the end of this training module community mental health staff
will be able to:
1. Identify guiding principle critical
to working with victims of domestic violence.
2. Identify the roles mental health staff
can employ in the screening, assessment and
clients experiencing domestic violence.
3. Demonstrate the use of screening tools
and assessment instruments and procedures.
4. Describe psychological effects of domestic
5. Describe appropriate therapeutic techniques
to utilize when working with victims.